Monday, December 2, 2013

Lawyer Talk

So here we go, day two of me chronicling the pain in the back that is my pain in the back. Today was not a normal day in that I had to go to the lawyers office and speak with them and the insurance company about my accident. I took the bus, a whole 45 minute bus ride there. There was some discomfort as I walked to the bus stop, but I ended up leaning against the pole for a bit to help.

On the bus, there are different types of seats, depending on the type of bus. Some of the newer buses have a lower, carpeted and more comfortable seating. The best ones are the ones that are kind of curved to match the average persons spine. I love those ones, especially on days I have to take a long ride. I was very happy to see these seats on my 45 minute ride, so the bus ride wasn't too unpleasant.

So I get to the lawyer and have a meeting with them and the insurance people. I don't like the insurance people. The questions were all about the specifics about what happened that morning and my physical injuries. Based on the questions they asked, they made it seem like my injuries were less than what they were. I didn't need x-rays. I didn't need a back brace or neck brace. I didn't need to take time off work, other than my appointments. I did mention that even though I still went to work, I couldn't do a lot of things I should do. I couldn't lift kids, couldn't sit in the little chairs very long, couldn't move things around. They didn't write that down. They asked if I did any physical activity and I said I used to walk a lot, but now I can't because it makes my back hurt. They wrote "walk" down, but not that I couldn't do it anymore. No questions about anything in my daily life that I can no longer do. As I alluded to in a previous post, that's where a lot of my problems come from. I can't do things. Even sitting here in the computer chair with my magic bag on my back isn't helping because I'm feeling tingles up and down my spine.

In fact, that's what most of my day has been like. It's what most everyday is like. It seems like a near constant dull pain in my back, a constant reminder of what I can't do anymore. So I work through the pain. I have to. I can't sit around and do nothing because my back hurts. That makes me feel useless and I can't deal with that. That idea does not sit well with me. So, I get up, I do what I can, and just keep living through that constant reminder of what I was.

But of course, the insurance company didn't care about that.

So at work, it's just this dull pain. Some activities caused a bit more pain, like when I was getting the kids beds ready, or when I was cleaning. It doesn't always cause more pain, but sometimes it does. Depends on if I stretch too far or twist a bit too much. Little things like that and I haven't figured out the exact degree to which I can move.

One of things we do is go outside. It's now winter, so it gets cold. I've never been a huge fan of the cold, possibly because I'm always cold, but I tolerated it. As a student, I'd walk to class as much as possible. I'd throw on the hoodie, coat, hats, mitts and boots and brave the ice, snow, cold and drivers who don't realize that the sidewalks disappear once the white stuff hits. I guess being on the go, I didn't feel the cold as much. Now, because I can't be on the go nearly as much, I feel the cold more. I do know that when you're cold, your muscles contract. I'm not exactly sure why. To paraphrase the great Leonard McCoy, dammit Jim, I'm a child care provider, not a doctor! So when my muscles contract due to cold, my back spasms since muscles are contracting and moving and all that. I don't like being out in the cold.

The pain at home was a bit more than it usually is. Not sure why. I've found myself needing to lie down and sit with the bag more than usual. Maybe I over did it a little today. I still have the dull achy, but most of the evening I've had tingles. Not quite spasms, but tingles, up and down.

So that was today. Tomorrow, I plan on emailing the lawyer to ask about those quality of life questions, if that's going to take in account. If things like cabs, which I'm sure I mentioned at the meeting today, are going to play a factor.

In the meantime, it's time for me to lie down for several hours and enjoy that thing called sleep before I get up and do it all over again.

Thanks for sticking with me this far!

No comments:

Post a Comment