Sunday, December 15, 2013

Dancing Karma

So tonight was my work Christmas party. The thing is, when you can't drink and you can't dance, then people say to other people that "your friends don't dance and if they don't dance well> they're no friends of mine". Ok, really though, when you can't drink and can't do much dancing due to an injury, then it's a bit harder to have a good time. 

But I did have a fairly good time. I have hilarious co-workers and they're part of the reason why I love going to work. There was a wonderful dance of Baby Got Back, performed by co-workers on the dance floor that was just so funny. When these guys are around, laughing, joking, it's easy to have a good time.

And I did have a good time. I even made twitter and facebook notes as references for when I went to write tonight. Now, the thing is, I'm stubborn. Usually, I'm pretty much just go with the flow, especially when it comes to decision making. But when my mind is set on doing something, I'm doing it. That's it. I'm sure it's related to my independent side. And tonight I was stubborn. I said "This is Billie Jean! You gotta dance to Billie Jean!", and I said "Heave Away! Sure you knows you're dancing that to that!" and I said "you may not be dancing sexy now, but some day, you'll bring sexy back and right now we're gonna dance to some SexyBack". 

My dance moves now are no where near as good as my dance moves several months ago. At least I can do some movement now though. I was at a costume dance about a month or so back and it was not happening. Not even to Backstreet's Back which has been my jam since 1997. But tonight, it wasn't really dancing. I was kinda stepping in time, moving my arms. Some might consider it dancing, but not really. Not what I'm used to. And that's another thing to add to the list of things I can no longer do. 

And my stamina is terrible. Dance for one song, down for 3 or 4. Before, I could dance for 3 or 4, even more songs, sit for one and then back up again. So that kinda sucks.

Now, remember saying I was stubborn. I shouldn't have been on the dance floor at all. My back can't take it. But I wanted it anyways. I didn't want to sit there, watching my friends dance while I sang along, drinking my water. I couldn't do that. I wanted to dance and have fun and laugh and sing. So, against my own better judgement, against my back, against what anyone might have said, I got up. I might have danced to 6 songs in total tonight. 

But I'm stubborn and when I came home, I laid on the magic bag for about 45 minutes to make my back feel better.

And I got payback for my fun and happiness. See, karma and the universe works differently for me. Normally, you do good, good things happen. You do bad, bad things happen. The universe wants my karma to balance. When good things happen, something bad is around the corner. At one point, the universe said to me "you know what, you've been pretty happy the last little while. It's time to go back to miserable, so let's throw in a bunch of stuff, including damaging your back in a minor accident, that will really mess you up. Oh! And let's do it around the time SAD comes in." Ok, the universe doesn't work that way and it has taken a while for me to realize that no, the universe didn't do that and it wasn't because of this, that, or the other thing. It was just several things, one right after the other, all at once, making everything that much harder to deal with it, and everything gets tied up in knots in your head and you're trying to pull the strings free but that just makes everything more tangled and messy.

Ok, where did that come from?

That went off on a tangent. But as I was going to say, my universal payback for having fun tonight was that, while getting into the cab home, my dress ripped. Right up to my underwear. It was a nice dress too. I was hoping to wear that to this thing on New Years Eve. Guess not now.

I don't think the universe really does try to balance out my life with a bunch of good and then a bunch of bad. It just seems like that sometimes. Maybe that means something good will come again soon?

Hey look, a positive note! Let's end there.

No comments:

Post a Comment